MINUTES OF MEETING
The regular meeting of the Board of
Supervisors of the Coral Springs Improvement District was held on
Present and constituting a quorum were:
Robert Fennell President
Karl Miller Supervisor
Also present were:
Gary L. Moyer Superintendent
Rhonda Archer District Staff
Roger Moore District Staff
Donna Holiday Recording Secretary
Dennis Lyles Attorney
John McKune Gee & Jenson
FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Roll Call
Mr. Fennell called the meeting to order at with roll call and stated the record will reflect that all Supervisors are present.
SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of Minutes of the January 24, 2000 Meeting
Mr. Fennell stated the second order
of business is approval of the Minutes of
THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Public Hearing to Consider Adoption of Water and Sewer Utility Manual and Changes to Meter Deposit Policy
Mr. Fennell stated under item three I hereby open a public hearing to consider adoption of Water and Sewer Utility Manual and changes to Meter Deposit Policy.
Mr. Moyer stated last month we distributed to you the policies which incorporated a variety of Resolutions that the District had enacted going back to the late seventies, from 1978 on as previously discussed. As you are aware, that led to some confusion, at least someone asserted that it led to confusion in their interpretation of our rates so we wanted to put all of them into the one document. That document was reviewed by our auditors and resulted in the work product that was distributed to the Board. The only other thing that we advertised as a public hearing was a follow-up to discussions we had last month on utility deposits. Given some changes in law and in case law from litigation, we are taking the position that after eighteen months of timely payment the deposit will be credited to the utility account of the customer. In effect, for all practical purposes, the District would not require utility deposits. That is the purpose of the public hearing. Ms. Archer and Mr. Lyles who worked through these policy changes can answer any questions you may have on that.
Mr. Fennell stated if there is anybody from the public present who has a concern or an issue, now is the time to speak up. I don't hear anything at this point. Are there any comments from the Board? We were talking about several issues. The big issue is the deposit and return of deposit.
Mr. Clinton stated all of my questions were answered at the last meeting.
Mr. Miller stated the same is true for me.
Mr. Fennell stated what we are going to do for a lot of people is return their money.
Mr. Moyer stated it is approximately a million dollars which we carry on our books as restricted cash and a liability.
Mr. Fennell asked what do we think this will do to nonpayment? What kind of issue would we have?
Ms. Archer stated we talked about this at our last meeting and under our act, we have the right to withhold service for nonpayment. If you were to sell your house and you walked out on a hundred dollar water bill and Mr. Miller were to buy it and he came in to establish service, I wouldn't establish service for him unless he paid your hundred dollar water bill.
Mr. Fennell stated that argument will be, "It wasn't me, they did it."
Mr. Moyer stated that is where we got into the discussion about recording something in the public record.
Ms. Archer stated that would put a title company or an attorney's office on notice to contact us before closing to find out if there is an outstanding receivable. Most of them do that automatically anyway but every now and then you will get an out-of-town attorney or title company working on a search that doesn't know to contact us. If we record a document on all of the property in the Public Record, they will pick that up in any title search or lien and will automatically call us and get that information and take that out of your closing statement at closing so that Mr. Miller is not paying for it when he comes in and buys the house.
Mr. Fennell asked when will that be accomplished?
Mr. Lyles replied I was going to bring it up under my report but we can talk about it now if you like. Here is a prepared notice that I have prepared. We said that we would take a look at it in draft form at this month's meeting and if everybody was comfortable with it, we would do a final version, get it signed and get it recorded in the Public Records. This is similar to, but not identical to, what is now required by Chapter 190 to be filed for every Community Development District in the State of Florida. I have adapted it since many of the features are the same to this District and just provided that the authority comes from our Special Act to create this District and for its continued existence and that we have the right to do the things I have outlined in the paragraph. If anybody doesn't understand after seeing that, especially if it goes to a real estate attorney or a title company, then I don't know what more we can do to help them understand.
Mr. Fennell asked will everybody who does a title search see this?
Mr. Lyles replied it is going to be recorded along with a legal description and I will need the cooperation of the Engineer to give me an appropriate legal description so it can get in the Public Records in that fashion. Anybody who buys property within the boundaries of this District will see this instrument.
Mr. Churchill asked what will be the trigger to the issuance of this? Sixty days late?
Ms. Archer replied this would get recorded immediately.
Mr. Churchill asked immediately upon what?
Ms. Archer replied upon our adoption today. We would record this on all of the property within the District forever. We would never release it unless we were to dissolve the District.
Mr. Churchill stated I mistakenly thought this would go on the individual properties.
Ms. Archer stated no, it would be recorded in the Public Record on all of the property so that if any property in the District sells, it would automatically show up in a title search to contact our office to make sure there is no balance outstanding. They usually do it by fax and we respond by fax telling them what the balance due is or if it has been paid in full.
Mr. Fennell stated we have had issues in the past where especially large corporations come in and suddenly found that they owed $50,000 when they thought they were clear and they would go to court and argue it. This should help that. It will also help not on just big groups but on somebody buying a normal house.
Mr. Lyles stated this gets picked up and the buyer's attorney checks with the District, they get an amount due if there is one and it shows up on the closing statement as one of the reconciliations between the buyer and the seller. For anybody who doesn't have that situation at least they know the District exists, that it can levy assessments, that it has fees and charges for utility services and things like that.
Mr. Moyer stated I have one question. I know this is fairly standard form and in many respects comes out of the CDD legislation but should we say that we "may" impose and we "have the authority to establish" fees, etc. or should we say we "have" imposed and we "do" levy rates, fees and charges? My concern is some sharp attorney will come and say you are authorized but it doesn't tell me you did it.
Mr. Lyles stated it doesn't matter. We can make that change.
Mr. Moyer asked could you as an attorney come in and argue with a straight face, "We didn't check with you because it says you "may" and we assumed you didn't".
Mr. Lyles stated all it is for is as a notice to let someone know there is something called a District, that it has these powers and it may or may not have already exercised some or all of them. No, the answer is they couldn't claim they had no idea if this shows up in the title chain.
Mr. Fennell stated the only thing I would say is perhaps there should be a line that says to call us. It states that we have the power to do all that. I think your point is, "What does this mean to me and who do I contact?"
Mr. Lyles stated it is in the phone book.
Mr. Fennell stated I am just saying call us to find out what you owe or words to that effect. We are not going to have any statement that there is a lien as other groups would. Wouldn't there normally be a lien at the County Courthouse, for a builder's lien for instance?
Mr. Lyles replied yes.
Mr. Fennell stated we are not going to do that so in order for them to find out, there should be further language.
Mr. Lyles stated something along the lines of "Additional information concerning the District"...
Mr. Fennell interjected "and any fees that may be levied".
Mr. Lyles stated "can be obtained from District Staff at" and give the address and number.
Mr. Fennell stated otherwise they might jump to the conclusion that there is nothing here.
Mr. Miller stated it could be a line that says, "It is the purchaser's responsibility to contact the District".
Mr. Fennell stated it should be something like that.
Mr. Miller stated you said a million dollars is currently being carried and when we get the budget that is shown as a liability.
Ms. Archer stated it is on the financials as a liability. We do show it under Revenue, interest earnings on that money to offset our expenses. That will be revised next year when we do our budget since we won't have those earnings. In fact, we will have an interest expense because a part of this Rule is to pay two percent interest on the money.
Mr. Fennell asked where would we have that money invested?
Ms. Archer replied we have it invested with the State Board of Administration and it fluctuates but it is roughly between five and six percent.
Mr. Fennell stated we are making five to six percent now on the million dollars. That is $50,000 a year.
Mr. Moyer stated that is correct.
Ms. Archer stated we will pay two percent on the money we hold for eighteen months.
Mr. Fennell stated let's say it drops down in eighteen months to maybe a quarter of what we had, so maybe it is $250,000, earning $12,000 a year and probably paying out $3,000 or $4,000.
Ms. Archer stated we won't make money.
Mr. Fennell stated that is what I would expect to happen. I don't think the turnover rates are that high.
Ms. Archer stated we have a fairly good turnover. We have sixty houses a month.
Mr. Miller asked do we have to take a vote on this issue?
Ms. Archer replied you will have to adopt the manual.
Mr. Fennell asked are there any other issues or questions? I had a couple of items.
Mr. Lyles stated our accountant, Mr. Black, also had some involvement in this.
Mr. Fennell stated we want to make some changes to section 9. There may be a few other places where that occurs.
Mr. Churchill asked what is that?
Mr. Fennell replied they talk about the deposits and what they are going to do so they are amending section 9. I thought I saw it appear in other places. There was one thing that I thought was a little too long. That is that given that we know there has been an error in rate structure and we give ourselves ninety days to get that right. We have overcharged somebody for some reason and we have ninety days to remedy the situation.
Ms. Archer stated we never do that.
Mr. Fennell stated ninety days seems a little long.
Mr. Moyer stated that would come to our attention by somebody calling us and saying there is $800,000 on their bill and we correct those as soon as we verify the meter reading.
Mr. Fennell stated we don't see the tables which contain the rates.
Ms. Archer stated that is because those tables change all of the time. It is the book itself. Those tables will be indexed at the back of the book along with the standard terms.
Mr. Fennell stated the capacity charge was fairly straightforward but on the line connection charge and the facility connection charges, there was some issue about whether those were legitimate. At least we were charged at one time on whether or not those were legitimate charges. Are we firm in this Counselor that these charges are legitimate?
Ms. Archer stated their whole position was that we should have collected the connection fees from the original developer for both phases. We only collected the connection fees for Phase 1. When the new developer came in to build Phase 2, and we wanted the connection fees for Phase 2, he said no, you should have gotten them from the original developer. It wasn't that he said it was not a proper charge.
Mr. Lyles stated the fees themselves are reviewed periodically by the Engineer when they need to be restructured and it is a zero sum gain. There is a certain amount of money that the District has to have coming in to cover its capital and its ongoing maintenance and the water that is provided and the sewer service and all of those are figured out by the Engineer under those categories and charges and go into the rate structure. Someone could argue that you could do it a different way. You could put all of it into the monthly charge but this is how this District has done it with engineering support and it makes it something that we can defend if it is questioned.
Mr. Fennell asked are there any other questions? I don't have any more questions so I will close the public hearing and entertain a motion.
FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Consideration of Permit Request Received from FP&L for the Installation of Cable Within a District Right of Way
Mr. Fennell stated item four is a permit request for installation of cable for FP&L.
Mr. Moyer stated this is a request for a subaqueous crossing at Riverside Drive and the C-1 Canal. They plan to bury cable underneath the canal bottom which is fairly standard practice. The Engineers have provided us with their standard form letter indicating that there isn't anything out of the ordinary subject to a few conditions that are routine for subaqueous crossing permits.
Mr. Fennell asked are there any questions? Is there a motion?
FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Staff Reports
Mr. Lyles stated in addition to the item that I already mentioned, we have also completed the final preparation of the amendment to your Agreement with Severn Trent that you took up last time to authorize project representative services and engineering coordination with Mr. Moore so I have the two originals here for execution today on behalf of the District.
We had an interesting development in terms of the legislation that we have been so focused on for several months. At the Legislative Delegation hearing, which I was not able to attend as it was during a City Commission Meeting but since it came up under Attorney's Report the last time, I will tell you that the bill was pulled by its sponsor and no action was taken on it as a last minute complete surprise to everyone and as I understand it, there was the promise of coming back next year with even a tougher bill and a more aggressive effort on behalf of Representative Ritter. I was not at the meeting and it was apparently so well attended that people trying to get in the room couldn't even get in the room because of other things, in large part annexation items that were on that Legislative Delegation agenda. As of now, there is no bill going to Tallahassee this year and we will see what happens next year.
Mr. Fennell stated you are going to amend this with the suggestions. We will see this next month or do we have to do that?
Mr. Lyles replied it is up to you. It is helpful when you are doing something as broad-based as recording a notice in the Public Records for every parcel of property in this District to have you see it before it goes in. I don't mind bringing it back with language that has been requested rather than just doing it and having it recorded because once we record it, that is it. I will bring it back with those changes that you have suggested.
Mr. Fennell asked are there any other suggestions or comments? There are none. Next is the Engineer's Report.
1. Monthly Water & Sewer Charts
2. Update on Construction
Mr. McKune stated the monthly water and sewer charts do not show anything that is surprising. As far as the update on construction is concerned, just an announcement. We have spoken a couple of times about adding stormwater pumps, backup pumps at both of our pump stations. We will be advertising this week and for the first time we will be receiving bids on March 21st for the project as we outlined it previously. The project is one new pump and engine for each pump station and a replacement pump at each pump station, a total of four pumps and two engines. The total bid should come in between $450,000 and $500,000.
Mr. Fennell stated we have about a million dollars in that account.
Mr. McKune stated there was nine hundred thousand dollars plus.
Mr. Moyer stated we were going to have around $350,000 left.
Mr. Fennell stated to review, at Pump Station #1, we have revised two pumps already of the three pumps that are there and we want to revise the third pump and put a fourth pump in it. In Pump Station #2, where we haven't done anything, we are going to do two of the three pumps.
Mr. McKune stated we are going to replace one of the pumps that is there and add a totally new pump and engine in the spare bay.
Mr. Fennell stated that leaves two pumps that we haven't touched at all.
Mr. McKune stated that is correct.
Mr. Fennell stated the only question would be whether they are going to make it through the year. How could we know that for sure? Didn't we test the metal on some of the things or how do we know?
Mr. McKune replied we didn't do any advanced metallurgical testing. We have divers' reports. There are more exhaustive dive scenarios that we could do but I don't know that they are necessary. It is always a question. They are old.
Mr. Fennell stated we are not going to get any more money. We get $50,000 a year, and we have $350,000 there. We are not going to build up this fund fast again.
Ms. Archer stated we keep adding to it.
Mr. Fennell stated it is going to take awhile at $50,000 a year. I feel it is necessary that we really understand the picture on Pump Station #2. When will we have this in, by June? I think Pump Station #1 is going to be okay because we have revised two of the pumps. I am worried about Pump Station #2.
Mr. Moyer stated let's go back for a minute because I heard in your presentation a minute ago something that was consistent with my understanding of what we presented last month. I thought you said we were going to get four pumps, two engines.
Mr. McKune stated that is correct.
Mr. Moyer stated there is a pump and an engine, a pump and an engine for the two bays. Then there are two pumps which in my mind were for Pump Station #2.
Ms. Archer stated that is correct.
Mr. Moyer stated you just said that we are doing one pump at Pump Station #2 but we are doing two.
Mr. McKune stated if that is what I said, that is incorrect. Both of them will be in Pump Station #2 so we will end up with the same configuration at each station.
Mr. Moyer stated you would be at risk for one pump in each station but for that risk you have now replaced it with a new pump and a new engine so that under theory you would always have three operating pumps which is all that we can run under our permit. If one of them lets go in Pump Station #2 or for that matter the third one in Pump Station #1, you would still have three pumps that are operational.
Ms. Archer stated we are not replacing the third one in Station #1 yet or the third one at Station #2 yet.
Mr. Churchill stated that is different than I understood it. I was thinking of four new ones.
Mr. Fennell stated that is how I understood it.
Mr. Moyer stated they are both going to be the same. You are going to alternate spec stainless.
Mr. McKune stated but not for the entire assembly, just for the wearing parts.
Mr. Fennell stated there will be one pump in this year in each site that hasn't been revised.
Mr. McKune stated that is right.
Mr. Fennell stated by the time we are done, two of the pumps will be completely rebuilt and we will have new pumps and engines.
Mr. McKune stated the full permitting capacity of the station will involve new pumps.
Mr. Fennell stated we are going out for that this week.
Mr. McKune stated yes.
Mr. Fennell stated this is February. We probably will not be able to award that until March.
Mr. McKune stated we are taking bids on March 21st.
Mr. Moyer stated you are very engineering oriented and we can do it at a future meeting but we will talk about the operating protocol in terms of whether you run the fourth pump, that is the very old pump and just run it until it quits or whether you run all three of the new pumps and you let the fourth one sit there forever and you only run it when you need it. Those are the things we need to think about and what makes the most sense in terms of operations.
Mr. Fennell stated my concern is getting all of these things done in time so I am looking for ways to expedite this. When we took out the pumps previously, it took us two or three months to get them rebuilt and put back in. Is that right?
Mr. McKune replied that is right. It will be a tight schedule.
Mr. Moyer asked can you force a completion date or not?
Mr. McKune replied you can if you pay out the money for the time.
Mr. Fennell stated obviously if we can get the new pumps in there as soon as possible, that would help a lot. That gives you more flexibility. Is that a quicker task than pulling the old pump out?
Mr. McKune replied it is about the same plus you have the engine. It has its own lead time.
Mr. Fennell stated I think it is important that we expedite this as much as we possibly can; particularly I would prioritize Pump Station #2 because we haven't touched anything in there yet. In Pump Station #1, we have two pumps revised there and we have a fair probability of success. Are there any other questions or issues?
Mr. McKune stated that is all unless you wanted to discuss the wastewater plant modifications. It was mentioned at the last meeting that we were going ahead with the fifth plant "E" and someone had raised a question and we had talked about some alternatives but we had discussed all of the alternatives and decided that we did in fact want to have that plant which will be of a capacity equal to the largest plant we have out there now. We would then be able to take any plant out of service in the future and still have a full rated capacity which is what the intent is.
Mr. Fennell stated I think that was the original plan. Do the rest of the Board members still agree with that?
Supervisors Churchill and Miller affirmed their concurrence.
Mr. Fennell stated we agree that is the safe way to go.
Mr. McKune stated we are proceeding and we will include the rehabilitation of Plants "A" and "B".
Mr. Fennell asked is there anything else?
Mr. McKune stated that is all that I have.
C. Superintendent - Authorization for the President to Sign FEMA Funding Agreement and Designation of District Agents to Transmit Same
Mr. Fennell stated we have authorization for the President to sign FEMA Funding Agreement and Designation of District Agents to Transmit Same.
Mr. Moyer stated Mr. Moore is working on this application. Do you want to explain the purpose of this document?
Mr. Moore stated this Agreement is a federal Agreement between the State, the federal government and is required by everyone who applies for reimbursement of federal funds. It is straightforward. It asks for two things: One, that the Minutes reflect that you authorize the execution of the Agreement and, two, that you appoint an agent and an alternate. That agent is the person that they correspond with for technical information. I have asked that I and Nick Schooley, the field supervisor, be the agent and backup.
Mr. Moyer stated go back to square one and tell the Board what we are doing.
Mr. Moore stated when we had Hurricane Irene, we had damages in various Districts. This particular District had about three to five thousand dollars of damage that we applied for. We filled out applications and submitted them. In order to be eligible for reimbursement, we have to sign this Agreement that says that the federal money is going to be involved in paying us back.
Mr. Fennell stated this gets us set up in case something disastrous happens.
Mr. Moore stated we are already set up. We have already applied and are semi-approved for everything. This is just the final step for a Funding Agreement that is required in the paperwork process.
Ms. Archer stated any time that you have a hurricane, you have to start all over again. You would have to submit an application each time.
Mr. Fennell asked is there any down side to this?
Mr. Moyer stated I don't believe that we have filed in this particular District previously but we had a project in St. Lucie County that was fairly extensive that we applied for. There is bureaucracy, paperwork and things like that.
Ms. Archer stated we did file following Andrew.
Mr. Moyer stated it is not onerous, neither the paperwork nor the restrictions.
Mr. Miller asked do you need a motion from us?
Mr. Moyer replied yes.
Mr. Moyer stated under Complaints, the problems that we talked about last month have been resolved. I queried all of my operators and they are not aware of any complaints that have been received. I have asked John about the Harbor Inn folks across the canal and they have been quiet.
Ms. Archer stated I have two things. One is the Harbor Inn people. They haven't complained about the odor but they complained about the appearance. They have complained to code enforcement about how we look. This is the view from Harbor Lakes. What they are looking at are our plants and the lime sludge that piles up. There is not a lot of landscaping between our plant site and their apartments. It is in the well area where you first drive in to the plant. If you look straight back, you will see the lime sludge piled up and on the other side of that is the canal and the Harbor Inn apartments. We had told the City of Coral Springs, we would do that since they had asked us to do some landscaping to buffer between us and the park site so that they didn't have to look at our tanks. We got a proposal from the landscape company that we work with and of course the proposal that they gave us to plant the buffer that will grow into a nice barrier between our plant and the rest of the world is going to cost more than our bid requirements so I am giving you an idea of what that looks like and asking for authorization to put this landscape material out for bid and bring it back to you possibly next month to consider. We are looking at a Ficus Hedge, some Black Olive trees, and we have to do some irrigation along the back end because there is no irrigation out there to water them once they are installed.
Mr. Fennell asked could we possibly use our own water?
Ms. Archer replied we are going to use our own water. We can take some of it off that canal but we have to run the lines.
Mr. McKune asked is it reuse? You don't want to do that.
Mr. Moyer stated you have to build a filter system to do that. It is a great idea and it is definitely something we should do, but it costs too much.
Mr. Churchill asked why did they pick those two horticulture products?
Ms. Archer replied I picked them. I didn't pick the Ficus Trees because of the root structure but I picked the Ficus Hedge because that is what we have here and they make such a nice barrier. I am told the roots on the Ficus Hedge aren't a problem and it has grown in so thick and nice here that we never get complaints from those houses.
Mr. Churchill asked is five feet appropriate?
Ms. Archer replied I let it grow higher and I put in the Black Olive Trees for the barrier along the top. I would have a low cover and a higher cover.
Mr. Churchill stated my point is the Black Olive Trees are so trashy. You can't park trucks or anything under them.
Ms. Archer stated there is nothing there but land.
Mr. Moyer stated you are right that they drop a lot of material on the ground.
Ms. Archer stated they get so thick. They grow fast and bush out.
Mr. Miller asked is there any consideration of having this place split the cost? It seems it is being done purely for their benefit.
Mr. Moyer stated this part of it is new, so I guess we could go back and ask them but in terms of the park property, I think the Board had previously asked us to do something back there.
Mr. Fennell stated I had because if you stand at the back in the park and look over, it looks bad.
Ms. Archer stated in consideration for the City not charging us to put in the wells at the City Park we offered to landscape.
Mr. Moyer stated for the part we are talking about I would estimate it to be about twenty percent of the total so we are not looking at a lot of money to do that.
Mr. Fennell stated these are fairly conventional plants that we are putting in. A suggestion I might make is finding out if there is a choice that would better do something as far as odor and sound reduction? Are there other kinds of plants that would be better for us?
Mr. Churchill stated I don't think anything that would address the odor question. As far as sound, Black Olive Trees are as thick as you can get. They will do some muffling.
Mr. Fennell stated we are about to go back into some construction and we have had some complaints already about the lights and working twenty-four hours a day.
Mr. Churchill stated it is going to be a series of years before any of this gets big enough to shield anything. The hedge will grow fairly quickly.
Mr. Fennell stated there might be certain types of plants that are better as far as purification of the air. Mr. Miller, you may know something about that.
Mr. Miller stated I don't know about that.
Mr. Churchill stated the question I have is on the maintenance. Any time you ask anybody to maintain a hedge where they have to get up on a ladder, your cost of maintenance goes way up. That is why I asked about the height. I am not saying it is a bad idea, but if we are going to go higher, we are going to have to anticipate the landscaping maintenance costs will go up.
Mr. Fennell asked is there any thought to placing a berm there?
Ms. Archer replied there is a short berm there. We are going to be planting on the top of the berm to get the most out of it and we don't want to put any more there because there are water and sewer lines.
Mr. Moyer stated all that we are asking for is to go out and bid this.
Mr. Fennell stated I think we should. My only point is if you can think of material that would help with some of the other problems, then go ahead and do it.
Ms. Archer stated there might be some things we can do to make it aesthetically nicer than just a straight run of trees.
Mr. Fennell asked are you going to use an architect?
Ms. Archer replied I wasn't planning to use an architect to do this.
Mr. Fennell stated sometimes with this amount of money, you can get a little planning included.
Ms. Archer stated these people will draw a picture if you want that but we were just talking about a buffer such as the one we have with the Ficus Hedge and the trees.
Mr. McKune stated the City may require a permit for this under the Landscape Ordinance. They are getting into more and more of what we do on a site plan. If that is the case, we can have our landscape architect do a pro forma plan.
Mr. Moyer stated the site plan has already been digitized.
Mr. Fennell stated I don't know that landscape architects cost all that much. Sometimes they can pay for themselves in that they know a lot about the plants and the trees and watering. Also we are looking for material that is going to be as low maintenance as possible too.
Mr. Moyer stated we may even want to talk to the City Forester because if you were working with him on some other projects, he might want to have some input and there is no reason not to give him that information.
Ms. Archer stated I did check on the growing conditions for those plants and they will grow under a varying combination of conditions.
Mr. Churchill stated you literally can't kill them.
Mr. Fennell stated the consensus of the Board is to go ahead and do it and if you need a landscape architect to help, go ahead and do that.
Ms. Archer stated the other thing that I have is about updating our rates that we discussed at the last meeting. John McKune and I are working on that but one of the things that we wanted to bring to you today to start taking a look at is what the rates are in the surrounding areas and while we are pulling data together and working on that, you will be able to see where we stand with the other cities. This is for information only.
Mr. Fennell stated North Lauderdale has the lowest rates. The City of Coral Springs is running roughly twenty-five percent more. We are thinking of lowering rates.
Ms. Archer stated I based all of these average bills on an average of 9,000 gallons a month because that is what our District has. When I asked the other cities what their average usage is per single family home, I got the same answer across the board. They don't use averages; it all depends upon the number of people in the house. That is informational at this time.
Mr. Fennell stated the City of Coral Springs has a minimum rate of $33.35 no matter what.
Mr. Churchill stated that is a disadvantage for the individual home owner. $33.35 applies whether you have one dwelling on the meter or thirty-five on a meter. We are actually giving our individual home owners a big break.
Mr. Fennell stated I am a little surprised that we are a little cheaper than Tamarac. They have low minimums.
Mr. Churchill stated they get no usage with their minimums.
Mr. Fennell asked do they do their own treatment or do they ship it to Fort Lauderdale?
Mr. Moyer replied they send it to Copans Road.
Ms. Archer stated we ended up buying some of their capacity when they had excess several years ago.
Mr. Moyer stated that was for North Springs.
Mr. Fennell stated thank you for preparing this. We have this and we have gone through a forecast of equipment that we need. When will we be ready to discuss what we can do? Is that next month?
Ms. Archer replied I think so.
Mr. Fennell asked are we looking at everything we should be looking at?
Ms. Archer replied one of the things that Mr. McKune and I were discussing is whether we are staffed to do everything properly. With Jim Robertson retiring we have had to redefine some of the job descriptions around the plant. We have made certain people responsible for certain things and identified areas that need some attention like lift station routine maintenance rather than just after we have a failure, maintaining fire hydrants and things such as that which we do when time permits. They have to be done on a more regular basis. We need to look at our water meters. That is one thing that we talked about a year ago, whether we needed a more sophisticated metering system; whether we wanted to get into telemetry. We will take a look at some of the bells and whistles and bring that back to you.
Mr. Fennell stated I think that we were amenable to that but we have to prove that anything that we do is actually cost effective. I think that was the stumbling point that I saw, that they were putting in the telemetry but I couldn't see where the cost effectiveness was yet. Are there any other comments from anybody?
SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisor's Requests and Audience Comments
Mr. Fennell asked are there any Supervisor's requests or audience comments? There are none.
SEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of Invoices
Mr. Fennell asked next is the approval of invoices.
Mr. Fennell asked are there any further comments or questions?
Clinton Churchill Robert D. Fennell