Minutes of Meeting

Coral Springs Improvement District

 

††††††††††† The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Coral Springs improvement District was held Monday, October 18, 2004 at 4:05 p.m. in the District office, 10300 N. W. 11 Manor, Coral Springs, Florida.

††††††††††† Present and constituting a quorum were:

††††††††††† Robert D. Fennell†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† President

††††††††††† Glen Hanks††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Secretary

††††††††††† William J. Eissler, Jr.†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Vice President

 

††††††††††† Also present were:

††††††††††† Rich Hans†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Assistant Superintendent

††††††††††† Dennis Lyles†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Attorney

††††††††††† Donna Holiday†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Recording Secretary

††††††††††† John McKune†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† CH2M Hill

††††††††††† Cedo DaSilva†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† CH2M Hill

††††††††††† Roger Moore†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† STS

††††††††††† George Keller†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† STS

††††††††††† Ed Goscicki††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† STS

 

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS†††††††††††††††††††††††† Roll Call

††††††††††† Mr. Hans called the meeting to order and called the roll.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSIENSS††††††††††††††††††† Approval of the Minutes of the September 20, 2004 Meeting

††††††††††† Mr. Hans stated that each Board member had received a copy of the minutes of the September 20, 2004 meeting and requested any additions, corrections or deletions.

††††††††††† There not being any,

 

On MOTION by Mr. Eissler seconded by Mr. Fennell with all in favor the minutes of the September 20, 2004 meeting were approved as submitted.

 

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS†††††††††††††††††††††† Public Hearing to Adopt Amendments to the Permit Criteria Manual, Establish a Fee for Permit Renewals and Provide for a Cash Trash Bond

††††††††††† Mr. Fennell opened the public hearing.

††††††††††† Mr. DaSilva distributed the revised permit criteria manual and stated we made a few language changes from the original.We added additional indemnification language on page 5.I will come in later with a new format for the permit that will be issued.

††††††††††† Mr. Hans asked is the proposed fee structure included in the hand-out?

††††††††††† Mr. DaSilva responded no.

††††††††††† Mr. Hans read into the record the following proposed fee schedule: establishment of a fee of $200 plus the cost of reproduction for the Permit Renewal process and to establish a cash trash bond in the amount of $2,500 to be returned upon completion of the project, District check list and inspection by District staff.

††††††††††† Mr. Hanks voiced concerns about the amount of storage per acre of open space and other technical issues relating to redevelopment.

††††††††††† Mr. DaSilva responded that the numbers permitted by South Florida Water Management District have not changed since 1977.If there were redevelopment the applicant would have to go through site plan approval and have to prove that they still meet the storage requirements.

††††††††††† After further discussion,

 

On MOTION by Mr. Fennell seconded by Mr. Hanks with all in favor the public hearing was recessed to be continued Monday, November 15, 2004 at 4:00 p.m. in the District office, 10300 N. W. 11 Manor, Coral Springs, Florida.

 

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS††††††††††††††††† Staff Reports

††††††††††† A.††††††† Attorney

††††††††††† Mr. Lyles stated we have received a written request from the attorney for Lake Coral Springs in essence saying they will go forward with an agreement of some kind and he has asked us to take the first cut drafting such an agreement.Staff is working on the scope for this agreement.We do not want to authorize anyone to perform aquatic management, we will provide specifically what we will do which establishes the baseline.We will provide that they are authorized to do aquatic control over and above our baseline treatment if they have a properly licensed, insured and certified contractor and if they use approved chemicals because these are fairly technical standards they have to meet.We believe they will see that we are not taking advantage of them, we will provide them with a draft agreement.They imply in their letter to us that they are willing to go forward with that and I believe that has been the Boardís intent.They will be doing that maintenance at their expense and it will be under controls we establish through our engineering arm.It is a matter of putting the technical specs into an operating agreement between the HOA and this District.I hope by the next meeting we can have a document for you to approve and execute.

††††††††††† Mr. Fennell stated they need to be aware that they will be under some kind of scrutiny relative to water quality standards.

††††††††††† Mr. Lyles responded we will take the lead to make sure they comply because if you go back to the original master association documents it is very specific that that is done under the control of this District even if they are paying a contractor to do it, we are in charge.We will make sure we are sufficiently specific and reserve the monitoring authority that we have to have to ensure we donít have problems like that.

 

††††††††††† B.††††††† Engineer

††††††††††††††††††††††† 1.††††† Monthly Water & Sewer Charts

††††††††††††††††††††††† 2.††††† Update on Construction

††††††††††† Mr. Moore stated I have an agreement to start the process to receive funds from FEMA for hurricane damages, the diesel fuel used to pump down the canal prior to the hurricane and some of the overtime that was paid during that time.

††††††††††† Mr. Hans stated we have prepared a resolution authorizing me and Mr. Moore to execute the documents necessary to receive this funding.

††††††††††† Mr. Moore stated our lift stations are presently set at the 100 year storm event elevation and there is a grant program I will look into that may apply to raising certain lift stations.

††††††††††† The refurbishing of water plant no. 1 is going well, C and D are also going well.

††††††††††† I have added a bar to one of the charts included in your agenda package to reflect infiltration.As you will recall we completed a relining program on five lift stations and that proved to be a good program.

††††††††††† I will provide a report to you in January on what we feel we can save on total plant operations as requested.

††††††††††† Mr. Fennell stated we wanted that information next month.

††††††††††† Mr. Moore responded we are not sure we can do the evaluation in the next 30 days.

††††††††††† Mr. Fennell stated next month I want to know what you are thinking about and the topics you are looking at.You may not have the numbers yet but I want to know the kind of things you are thinking, about such as infiltration.Obviously if we cut down on infiltration, at the same time we will cut down on operating expenses.Security should also be part of this equation.

††††††††††† Mr. Hans stated a quick savings is if you went to unarmed guards it is $2.00 per hour per man which is $4.00 per hour over 24/7, 365 days per year works out to approximately $36,000 per year.We are also putting together numbers if we hired our own personnel for security who would also be available for other duties.We will put that together for you.

††††††††††† Mr. Fennell stated that is the type of thing we are looking for, better use of manpower especially during emergencies.We also asked for a capital expenditure plan for the next five years.We also need to look at our cash flow.What is the status of the chlorine?

††††††††††† Mr. Moore responded it is on-line and working.At the present time we are off the chlorine gas but until the new system is stable we are keeping the tanks.It is working but we are tweaking some of the components.

††††††††††† Mr. Fennell asked what will convince you with certainty to get rid of the gas tanks?

††††††††††† Mr. Moore stated I want the system to work flawlessly for four months.I want to keep one tank as a back-up for six months.

††††††††††† Mr. McKune stated it is not a process issue, it is a controls issue.

††††††††††† Mr. Eissler stated if you went back over everything you will probably find it is a design flaw.If that is true, can we go back to them and recoup some money because you are spending time monitoring this.

††††††††††† Mr. McKune stated the supplier of the equipment has sole responsibility to make the system work.

††††††††††† Mr. Fennell asked is it time to have the person who designed the system, take a look at it?

††††††††††† Mr. McKune responded no, because there is not an individual who designed the system.They put this together with component parts to meet the performance criteria we established in the original design specifications.We tell them what they need to do, what it needs to do when it is done with the process and give them sole responsibility to put their equipment together to do that job, then they come out with their service technicians and make it work.That is where we are.It does work.We designed the process but we didnít design the components.That is done by whoever the low bidder is.

††††††††††† Mr. Fennell asked does Severn Trent have someone who is a star in this?

††††††††††† Mr. Goscicki responded yes.If this becomes a continuing issue we have an instrumentation manager in Fort Myers who will troubleshoot.You are going in the right direction.Calibration in start-up is not an unusual situation.

††††††††††† Mr. Eissler asked where are we on surge protection?

††††††††††† Mr. McKune responded before we start construction we need to be between the contractor for the surge protection project and the existing general contractor.We have an outline of costs because there are some areas that we are not going to build right now.It depends on what you decide to do in the capital improvement program, and the timing of parts of that, we may remove some parts of the grounding project.††

 

On MOTION by Mr. Fennell seconded by Mr. Eissler with all in favor Resolution 2005-1 authorizing Rich Hans and Roger Moore to execute documents and agreements related to the disaster relief funding agreement was approved.

 

††††††††††† C.††††††† Superintendent Ė Status of Newsletter

††††††††††† Mr. Hans stated I distributed drafts of the newsletter at the last meeting and I havenít received any input from the Board.

††††††††††† Mr. Fennell stated I would like to see something about how we faired during the hurricanes and about our back-up systems.

††††††††††† Mr. Hanks stated I think there should be something about the vegetation along the canal banks.

††††††††††† Mr. Fennell stated I want to find ways we can get through a total black-out of our area and still keep going.

††††††††††† D.††††††† Complaints

††††††††††† There not being any, the next item followed.

 

FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS†††††††††††††††††††††††† Supervisors Requests and Audience Comments

††††††††††† There not being any, the next item followed.

 

SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESS††††††††††††††††††††††† Approval of Invoices

††††††††††† Mr. Eissler questioned the fed ex bills that will be researched and a report made at the next meeting.

 

On MOTION by Mr. Eissler seconded by Mr. Hanks with all in favor the invoices were approved.

 

On MOTION by Mr. Eissler seconded by Mr. Hanks with all in favor the meeting adjourned at 5:30 p.m.

 

 

 

 

 

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† †††††††† †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Glen Hanks††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† †††††††† Robert D. Fennell

Secretary†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† President