MINUTES OF MEETING

CORAL SPRINGS

IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT

 

            The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Coral Springs Improvement District was held on Monday, February 27, 2006 at 4:00 p.m. at the District Office, 10300 NW 11th Manor, Coral Springs, Florida.

 

            Present and constituting a quorum were:

 

            Bob Fennell                                                President

            Bill Eissler                                                   Vice President

            Glen Hanks                                                Secretary

           

            Also present were:

 

            John Petty                                                  Manager

            Doug Hyche                                               District Staff

            Jean Rugg                                                   Severn Trent Services

            Janice Moen Larned                                   Severn Trent Services

            Dennis Lyles                                               Attorney

            John McKune                                             Engineer

            Bill Hodges                                                 Arbor Tree & Land

            Terry Hodges                                             Arbor Tree & Land

            Brian Pierpoint                                            Legislative Representative

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS                         Roll Call

Mr. Fennell called the meeting to order and Mr. Petty called the roll. 

 

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS                    Approval of the Minutes of the January 9, 2006 Meeting

            Mr. Fennell stated each Board member received a copy of the January 9, 2006 minutes and requested any additions, corrections or deletions.

            There not being any,

 

On MOTION by Mr. Eissler seconded by Mr. Hanks with all in favor the minutes of the January 9, 2006 meeting were approved.

 

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS                       Report from Mr. Fennell on District Accounting Procedures

            Mr. Fennell stated the audit is ongoing but we have no concrete results.  Do we have additional help?

            Mr. Petty responded yes.  They have been working on bringing the trust statements up to date.

            Mr. Fennell stated we had trouble with some timing issues and we brought in Severn Trent to assist them.  There are issues such as sickness and deaths in the family, which happened in the last month.  We need to have a contingency plan in place.

                 Award of Hurricane Debris Removal & Canal Bank Restoration Contract

            Mr. McKune read the following letter into the record:

“On February 23, 2006, eight bids were received for the canal bank restoration project at the office of CH2M-Hill.  The lowest responsive bid was submitted by Arbor Tree & Land, Inc. with a Total Base Bid amount of $1,880,651.35. 

 

We have reviewed the bids and recommend that the Board of Supervisors award the project to Arbor Tree & Land, Inc. in the amount of their bid subject to funding being available.”

 

            Mr. McKune stated the bid amount from Arbor Tree & Land is slightly different than the letter.  There was a slight error of $400.  The letter is correct.

            Mr. Fennell stated the bids ranged from $1,900,000 to $6,000,000.  What is Arbor Tree & Land’s experience in this business?

            Mr. Bill Hodges responded I started in this business 28 years ago and in the canal business in 1989.  We started a full-time business for disaster cleanup of canals after Hurricane Andrew.  We have a long list of clients and can provide you with a list.

            Mr. Fennell asked have you done work in Coral Springs?

            Mr. Bill Hodges responded I performed work on the Hillsborough Canal.  We have a contract with the City of Coral Springs and performed disaster cleanup work for the city. 

            Mr. Fennell asked what percentage of work did you perform?

            Mr. Terry Hodges stated the percentage of debris removed was 70%.  We performed work in one-half of the city and another contractor performed the other half.

            Mr. Fennell stated this was a fairly massive job.

            Mr. Terry Hodges stated we cleared less than 1,000,000 cubic yards of debris.

            Mr. Fennell stated you clearly can handle large jobs.

            Mr. Terry Hodges stated correct.

            Mr. Fennell asked where do you dump the debris?

            Mr. Bill Hodges responded we own our own wood recycle yard 10 miles from here on the corner of Lantana and 441, which is an EPA/SWA permitted wood recycle facility.  This is how we are able to save you money.

            Mr. Fennell stated you have a competitive advantage. 

            Mr. Bill Hodges stated you are not allowed to go someplace and chip.  The location has to be approved by the Health Department, Fire Department, Solid Waste Authority and the EPA. 

            Mr. Hanks stated by having your facility in Lake Worth, you cut down on our time frame of taking the debris to a vacant lot.

            Mr. Bill Hodges stated you could use the vacant lot but you would have to show where the material is going from there.

            Mr. Petty stated we save on the dump fee.

            Mr. Eissler asked did you bid by aerial?

            Mr. Terry Hodges responded no.  We physically went out to each location.

            Mr. Eissler asked is the substantial completion 150 days?

            Mr. Terry Hodges responded yes.

            Mr. Eissler stated you did half of Coral Springs and it is not even 150 days since the hurricane.

            Mr. Terry Hodges stated we cleaned out Coral Springs four times.

            Mr. Petty stated we hope our contractor works as expediently as they do.  We put a time value comparable with what is required by the NRCS. 

            Mr. Fennell stated there is a substantial amount of work, not just hauling debris.  Your contract states you have your own barges.

            Mr. Bill Hodges stated we have our own fabrication company and fabricated barges that worked well on small canals.  We use our own equipment to lift the barges out of the water and move them to another canal.

            Mr. Fennell asked do you have your own customized equipment specifically for canals?

            Mr. Bill Hodges responded yes.

            Mr. Eissler asked do you ever have to go onto private property?

            Mr. Bill Hodges responded we try not to.  Many times we go along the canal bank with our equipment.  Unless it is hard to get into a site, we mainly work in the water.

            Mr. Petty stated our contract specifies they work from our easements.  If they are going to go onto private property, they need to speak to the engineer to make sure it was authorized.

            Mr. Eissler stated I have seen your barges in the canals.

            Mr. Hanks asked is this the emergency work to remove the debris from the top of the bank?

            Mr. McKune responded no, this is the work we are eligible for reimbursement from NRCS. 

            Mr. Petty responded this covers the emergency work to clear the flowway in addition to removing the trees from the top of the bank.  There is another contract to remove the trees still standing, which we will discuss under the manager’s report.

            Mr. Hanks stated there is a boat dock on a finger canal in Lake Coral Springs.  We took the position this was not our property and could not approve/deny the permit.  Was this work included in the scope of work?

            Mr. Fennell responded yes, but there are some issues about whether or not we have access.

            Mr. Lyles stated because this property is assessed in the same manor as other property throughout the District, we can do our basic level of maintenance.  Even though it is not technically owned by us, we have an easement for flowage and system functions.  While we do not have the legal authority to say “yes” or “no” to their request for a permit, in terms of maintenance, I believe the ultimate position of the Board is to do our basic level of maintenance in this lake.  This involves the removal of debris.

            Mr. Hanks stated if we are faced with hurricane removal, we need to discuss access to our easement to get a barge in for future maintenance.

            Mr. Fennell stated we should discuss this after we make a decision on this contract. 

            Based on the fact you handled substantial amounts of work in the Coral Springs area and have your own method for removing trees, you are well qualified.  I called the city and they are happy with your work.

            Mr. Eissler asked what is your procedure for canal bank restoration?

            Mr. Petty responded the engineer specified a certain type of slope, how it is compacted and the material to re-sod.  I do not know what equipment they are going to use.  It is up to the contractor.

            Mr. Hanks asked what was the next lowest bid?

            Mr. McKune responded American Environmental. 

 

On MOTION by Mr. Eissler seconded by Mr. Hanks with all in favor the contract for hurricane debris removal and canal bank restoration was awarded to Arbor Tree & Land in the amount of $1,880,651.35.

 

            Mr. Fennell stated congratulations.  I am looking forward for you getting started as soon as possible. 

            Mr. Petty stated we received a written protest of the low bid.  Our engineer looked at this protest and believes it does not match what was submitted and there is no basis for this.  However, we have a policy and procedure to go through an Administrative Hearing.  Since the entity, American Environmental is not here at this time and we have verbal representation they do not wish to continue, I stand by the letter they sent to the District stating they wish to protest.  I will defer to counsel on the appropriate action.

            Mr. Eissler asked what is their basis for protest?

            Mr. Petty responded they are protesting that Arbor National Inc. is a corporation formed for less than one year.  They want to see proof of the bidder qualifying as required in this bid package, attachments referring to qualifications of bidder, Paragraph 1.8 of Section A – questions one through four and Paragraph 1.8 of Section C question two.

            Mr. Fennell asked are they questioning their ability to handle large jobs?

            Mr. Petty responded we believe they are mistaking this firm with another firm of a similar name.

            Mr. McKune stated as I was driving to this meeting, someone from our office looked through Arbor’s bid package and realized American Environmental were protesting against the wrong company.  They decided not to come here and I am sure they will withdraw their protest.

            Mr. Lyles stated what we have is a written letter stating they wish to file a formal bid protest.  Therefore, we will treat this as a formal bid protest.  We have a process where within seven days we have to schedule an informal proceeding.  We will notify them through the manager’s office and if they withdraw their bid protest, we will not have to go any further.  If they want to continue for some reason, but I doubt they do, we will set the formal hearing and take the steps necessary under the Administrative Procedure Act.  However, it looks like they have the wrong company in mind and this will probably go away.

            Mr. Fennell asked in the meantime, will we proceed with the contract?

            Mr. Lyles responded yes.

            Mr. Eissler asked when will you get started?

            Mr. Terry Hodges responded when we receive a signed contract.

            Mr. Fennell stated we need their bond.

            Mr. Petty stated as well as their performance criteria.  We hope to have all of the documents signed, sealed and delivered shortly.

            Mr. McKune stated there are some conditions from the NRCS regarding submittal versus start of the work.  Some paperwork needs to be submitted to the NRCS before the work can start.  One document gives them the right to do the work on your property.  Another document is the quality insurance plan.

            Mr. Hanks asked does the Board need to take any action for these items?

            Mr. McKune responded the Board needs to sign the project agreement.

            Mr. Petty stated approval by the Board to award the contract to the lowest responsive bidder is what we needed.  Within the next week, we hope to remove the trees.

            Mr. Fennell asked who will handle the complaints?

            Mr. Petty responded our customer service employees who handle the water and sewer metering and billing issues can handle any complaints.  We have a question and answer sheet anticipating the questions people may have.  We believe we will have those issues addressed.

            Mr. Fennell stated I am drafting a letter to be sent to every household explaining what we are doing, how we are going to do so and when we are going to do this.  I provided Mr. Petty with a hard copy draft of the letter as well as a CD.  The letter reads as follows:

“Dear Fellow Neighbor,

 

Your Coral Springs Improvement District, which I serve as your President, was challenged by Hurricane Wilma last October like it never has been before.

 

Despite the loss of power to our pumps, fallen trees and other debris blocking our canals and equipment, our people and systems performed admirably.  Our Water District was one of the few in Broward County that avoided a boil water order and we are very proud that the systems we had in place withstood the devastation of Wilma.

 

However, while the purity and flow of our District’s water avoided problems, Wilma ravaged our 100 miles of canals and lakes blowing down approximately 3,000 trees, causing severe damage to 15,000 feet of canal banks and necessitating the cleanup of over 35,000 feet of canal banks.  In addition, there are still a large number of trees and shrubs in the canal right-of-way that could cause severe drainage problems in future storms.

 

For the past three months District employees have made progress in removing tons of the debris that was blocking the flow of water while our engineers have planned out the heavy reconstruction work and prepared plans to bid out the work.

 

The reconstruction plans, have been distributed, bids have been received and work has been awarded.  The work will be extensive, expensive and time consuming and, in some cases, will affect your individual landscaping and lawn watering systems.

 

Over the next 180 days commencing on March 3, we plan to remove all the estimated 3,000 downed trees, repair the canals and insure that all trees and shrubs in the canal right-of-way are properly maintained to insure water flow.  Proper maintenance of the canal right-of-way will be an ongoing activity.

 

The cost to the Coral Springs Improvement District is estimated to be approximately $3 million with $2 million targeted for repairs and $1 million for required maintenance.  We plan to finance this expense through a combination of our reserve funds, short term loans, and long term bonds if necessary.  We estimate that up to 75 percent of the repair costs should eventually be paid for by the Federal government through FEMA and National Resource Conservation Service Grants.  The maintenance cost we will bare alone.  These additional costs will be paid through an increase in our yearly assessments which will be stretched out over several years. 

 

One difficulty in removing downed trees and repairing canal banks is getting access to these areas.  In some cases, hedges and other vegetation blocking access to our removal equipment and crews will have to be removed by our workers.

 

In all cases, our workers are being instructed to be as least obstructive to your property as possible while they undertake these repairs.  In some cases, damage to your PVC piping from your property into the canals will be unavoidable.

 

We are establishing a special answer center at _________ and designating one of our District Managers to handle questions that you may have.  In addition, I am available to help with unique problems or situations that may arise affecting your individual property.

 

With your cooperation, we will make every effort to clear the canals and remove these downed trees as quickly and with as little disruption as possible.

 

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation.  Robert Fennell, President-Coral Springs Improvement District.”

 

            Mr. Fennell stated we will put this on our letterhead.  A copy should be sent to the City Manager of Coral Springs as well as to Channel 25 and the website.

            Mr. Hanks stated we can put sections of this letter on the water bills.

            Mr. Petty stated I do not know about the water/sewer bills but we discussed posting a notice like we do when we spray for algae control warning the residents not to irrigate.  We can say, “THE CONTRACTOR WILL BE WORKING IN THIS AREA OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS”. 

            Mr. Eissler stated they never posted a notice in my yard about the spraying.

            Mr. Petty stated for the last couple of years, they have been notifying the residents by door hangers.  We will also post the Q&A on the website and direct the residents to call us with any questions.  We can provide door hangers to those who live on the canals. 

            Mr. Hanks asked does Arbor Tree & Land have the capability of removing trees on uplands?

            Mr. Bill Hodges responded yes.

            Mr. Hanks asked has anyone focused on the removal of trees at the lift stations?

            Mr. Hyche responded we were doing this prior to the last hurricane.

            Mr. Petty stated good idea.  We will certainly take inventory of our trees.

            Mr. McKune stated it is difficult to remove trees from there because those trees are not on your property.  We have to get the property owner involved.

            Mr. Fennell stated the work we just awarded is what needs to be done currently.  However, we need to have some preventative maintenance done.  This is the time for us to step forward.  To clarify, anything in the right-of-way needs to be evaluated to determine whether or not it needs to be there.  Theoretically, the property owner is responsible for all vegetation to the water line and they could be cited by the City of Coral Springs.  It should have been reported and the property owners cited.  I think it is time for the District to step forward because it affects the drainage of the water and the welfare of the entire community. 

            Mr. Petty stated staff is evaluating the scope of the remaining trees and the hazards it may pose.  We would like to bring an analysis before you at the next meeting.  

            Mr. Terry Hodges stated we have been the city’s tree vendor for 15 years and removed numerous trees.

            Mr. Fennell stated hopefully by the next meeting we will have a good handle on this.  We did what we had to do in regards to the emergency work and now we have the engineers in the process of determining what additional work needs to be done.

            Mr. Hanks stated we need to think about how we need to keep up the maintenance once the trees are removed and what type of procedure needs to be established.  There should not just be a process after a storm for clean up, but have an ongoing process to actively maintain these canals.

            Mr. Petty stated this is part of the analysis we intend to provide to you at the next meeting.

            Mr. Fennell stated we are currently spraying the canals periodically.  Once a year we need to make sure we look at all of the canals.

            Mr. Hanks stated we need to have a way of recording violations to the city.

            Mr. Petty stated staff is looking at what it can do under its own authority without relying on the city’s ordinance.  We will have discussions with counsel on what is within our right within our easements in the removal of what we consider to be hazardous trees.

            Mr. Fennell asked is there any program statewide?

            Mr. McKune responded not to my knowledge.

            Mr. Pierpoint stated they are working on some bills limiting the size of trees around power lines.

            Mr. Fennell stated we can use our reserves to pay for this.  We are already approved for short term financing.  If we have to, we can go out for longer term financing.  Once we find out from FEMA how much they will give us, we can determine how much money we need to obtain.  We will have to raise our assessments but it will not be too bad.  This is only as half as bad as I feared.

            Mr. Eissler stated we have not raised our assessments in years.

            Mr. Fennell stated the assessment dropped a few years ago when we paid off the bonds, then we decided to build our reserves.

            Mr. Hanks stated we should be building this type of cost into our capital budget.

            Mr. Petty stated if Hurricane Wilma is the one exemption you have to raising fees, you are still doing great.

            Mr. Fennell stated it looks like we will be able to get through this without having to go out for a bond issue.

            Mr. Hanks stated what we should aim for is finding a mechanism where we have reserves to address hurricane damage.

            Mr. Fennell stated thank goodness we had reserves.

            Mr. Eissler stated the good news is most of the big trees are down.  It will be many years before the little ones go down.

            Mr. Hanks stated trees growing in a group are stronger because they shield each other from the wind. 

            Mr. Petty stated we are addressing the possibility of a possible hurricane threat or similar circumstance to Wilma and come back to the next meeting with a solution for the remaining trees.  We did not anticipate Wilma and we are trying to write a contingency for the next emergency.  We have a draft cashflow analysis looking at the District’s financial position and the ability to address a Wilma 2 type of storm.  Currently your financial position is very good and consideration of a Wilma 2 is certainly within the feasibility of your current structure.

            Mr. Hanks stated we need to look at what other possibilities are out there if we were to experience a 100 year flood and run some scenarios on what we have to replace in terms of pumping stations. 

            Mr. Petty stated under this scenario there would not be anything to purchase as there would be no land south of Okeechobee.  I think you are correct whereby a risk analysis needs to be prepared on what we feel we can live with.  Currently staff is looking at matching Wilma and being able to survive without power for two weeks.

            Mr. Fennell stated there are probably different levels of emergency and what we can live through.  Right now I am hoping we can get through a class three emergency.

            Mr. Petty stated in looking at a Wilma type of storm, we will stay because so many did and it is reasonable to expect government to be able to provide services during another Wilma.  If we start with a policy to get through a Wilma 2 type of storm with better efficiency than we did with a Wilma 1 type of storm, we can work incrementally from there.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS                    Consideration of Award of Contract for the Purchase of Chemicals

            Mr. Eissler stated Helena Chemical is the low bidder by far.  They bid on Ester, which no one else bid on.

            Mr. Petty stated we are looking to award to the lowest responsive bidder on each chemical.  For example, the lowest responsive bidder on Rodeo is UAP Timberland.  This way we get the best price per chemical.

            Mr. Lyles stated the bid specifications authorize you to award in this fashion.

            Mr. Hanks stated I do not feel this is more sensible because we have to set up an account with another vendor.

            Mr. Petty stated we are capable of doing this but I understand the logic.  In this case we saved a few dollars but not enough for it to be material. 

            Mr. Fennell stated someone has to keep the competitor honest.

            Mr. Lyles stated in the case of a tie, we award the contract to both bidders.

 

On MOTION by Mr. Eissler seconded by Mr. Hanks with all in favor the contract for the purchase of chemicals and herbicides was awarded the lowest bidder for each respective chemical and herbicides; and in the case of two low bidders staff has the ability to purchase from either company.

 

FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS                         Discussion Items

A.        Purchase of Two-Way Radios to Facilitate Communication

            Mr. Fennell stated due to phone lines being down 24 hours after the storm, it is necessary for us to purchase two-way radios.

            Mr. Hyche stated I brought a package to the Board at the last meeting but the Board asked me to obtain a proposal from another source.  With Motorola, we can purchase a system for all of our trucks, some handheld radios for drainage and handheld radios for water plants.  This is a point to point system with a repeater.  Our current system is UHF and utilizes our well antennas or repeaters along with our antenna for $11,000.

            Mr. Petty stated we were also considering our experience with Motorola.  We had their radio in use over the last couple of decades before it was discontinued.  We have a ready supplier who has a supply of spare parts.  This is something we can own without installing new towers, which could be knocked down during a hurricane.  This is a repeater system, which works at a low level.  We feel we can communicate very well with our staff.  We can communicate with the outside world with satellite phones, which is the least expensive way to communicate after a storm.  It turns out most of the utility workers in the state feel the most reliable system is the satellite system.  We estimated the cost for this type of a system and discovered it was 10% to 20% higher than what we are currently paying for our cell phone service.  We will bring this back to you for consideration along with the radios.  With these radios we can communicate with all of the trucks out in the field, existing staff and the outside world.

            Mr. Fennell asked would we have to go out for bid?

            Mr. Lyles responded yes.

            Mr. Fennell stated I used to work for Motorola and there are only a couple of manufactures who can actually supply the quality Motorola can.  GE is another but I do not think they are in business anymore.  Express Radio can also provide you with a bid.

            Mr. Petty stated one option is this radio style of equipment may have already been bid and we may be able to piggyback an existing state contract.  We will research it.

            Mr. Lyles stated due to our Special Act, a specification will be developed by staff and we will put it out for bid.  We know what price we need to shoot for we and will make sure we do not go above it.  Is this going to be a performance type of specification?

            Mr. Petty responded equal to Motorola or better.

            Mr. Lyles stated we will have something to you by the next meeting.

            Mr. Hanks asked is there a need to go with both the satellite phone and the radios?

            Mr. Hyche responded yes.

            Mr. Petty stated one communicates with staff.  The other allows us to communicate with the world.  We will need to communicate with the world if we are searching for diesel fuel.

            Mr. Hanks asked how many satellite phones will we need to purchase?

            Mr. Petty responded no more than three.

 

On MOTION by Mr. Fennell seconded by Mr. Hanks with all in favor staff was authorized to solicit bids on the purchase of two-way radios.

 

            Mr. Fennell asked was there any coordination with the city as far as the frequency?

            Mr. Eissler responded we need to obtain a permit.

            Mr. Hyche stated we have a VHF license.

            Mr. Petty stated we will try to coordinate with the city to the best of our ability.  The satellite phone gives us the ability tp communicate with them as long as they have a working phone.

B.        Reserve Fuel Plan

            Mr. Fennell stated we wanted a reserve fuel plan longer than one week.  How do we accomplish this?

            Mr. McKune responded I provided the Board with a brief diagram of the fuel capacity.  The items in green are existing fuel storage locations.  At the effluent pump station, we currently have 3,500 gallons.  We have 5,000 gallons of fuel underground and 2,500 gallons which were recently installed at the south end of the wastewater plant.  In addition, we have 5,000 gallons at the water plant.  We are proposing to add 8,000 gallons above ground at the water plant, install a new generator, a 6,000 gallon tank at the north end of the wastewater plant and a 3,500 tank by the effluent pump station.  This will give us enough fuel for two weeks.  We also have the capability, now and in the future of moving fuel from tank to tank. 

            Mr. Fennell asked will there need to be a pipe leading in?

            Mr. McKune responded we may end up installing a small fuel pump.

            Mr. Petty asked what hurricane season will this be completed by?

            Mr. McKune responded we can do this prior to the upcoming season.

            Mr. Hanks asked will we be faced with any zoning issues?

            Mr. Hyche responded there will be a modification to the hazard utility site.

            Mr. Fennell asked is this all diesel fuel?

            Mr. Hyche responded yes.

            Mr. Fennell asked what about gasoline?

            Mr. Hyche responded we have not addressed gasoline because we have plenty in our tank.  If we have to, we can get gasoline at a local service station on a generator. 

            Mr. Fennell stated we ran into problems with getting people here because they ran out of gas.  We also had problems with the portable generators at the lift station.

            Mr. Hyche stated they now run on diesel fuel.

            Mr. Fennell asked are we in good shape to handle all of our lift stations in the event of a storm?

            Mr. Hyche responded you are in decent shape but I would not say we could handle all of them.  We can handle the ones running the most.  I have a proposal for the purchase of 10 standalone generators, which we can place next to the lift stations.  We can purchase three of these generators for the cost of a portable one.

            Mr. Eissler asked how many did we purchase before Wilma?

            Mr. Hyche responded two for CSID.  I am more concerned with getting the sewage into the plant from the community.  If you are going to boil water, you have an opportunity to use Clorox at your tap to take care of the disinfectant.  I do not know of a solution to get the water out of the streets other than pumping. 

            Mr. Petty stated when we talk about generators, the wastewater cannot get to us unless you can flush.  We have enough portable generators to run the lift stations and catch them before they overflow.  This was a great balancing act for a period of time. 

            Mr. Fennell asked do you need approval from the Board on the reserve fuel plan?

            Mr. Petty responded no.  It will be part of a large construction program your engineer will be bringing back at a later date.

            Mr. Hanks stated some places have their own turbine generators running off of natural gas.  Is this a route we want to look into?

            Mr. McKune responded it is probably done at large plants.

            Mr. Fennell stated you can either go with diesel or natural gas.  Either one is a viable solution.

            Mr. Eissler asked do we have natural gas?

            Mr. Hyche responded some of our plant stations run on natural gas.

            Mr. Petty stated we have a considerable investment in the current diesel inventory, which has a life expectancy to it. 

            Mr. Hanks stated FP&L costs are increasing all the time and this may be an opportunity to do some cost controls.

            Mr. Fennell stated because we have power stations, we get cut rates on our power from FP&L. 

            Mr. Petty stated if we can run our own system more economically, we can bring some alternatives to the Board’s attention.

            Mr. Fennell stated there is no difference in the efficiency between diesel and propane.  We can go either way. 

            There was consensus from the Board to approve the reserve fuel plan and get it in place before the next hurricane season.

            Mr. Fennell stated we need to discuss financing and funding options.

            Ms. Larned stated because the bids came in so low, we have been working on developing a policy for the next event.  With this policy we can have the following three options available at any given time; internal cashflow in order for you to borrow additional money, intermediate loans and a catastrophic situation involving rebuilding.  The District is in good shape with the current reserves, specifically with the General Fund.  While the capital in the Enterprise Fund is well planned for the maintenance and replacement of the current equipment, it can withstand the next event. 

            Mr. Fennell stated we do not need to think about this until we have a category two type of storm.  If we have a category three storm, we would not be able to rebuild if there were no water and sewer. 

            Mr. Hanks stated Hurricane Andrew was a category five storm, which caused devastation and small structure collapses.  It did not completely wipe out every structure.  You will also have some inhabitable structures. 

            Mr. Petty stated in Hurricane Andrew, the infrastructure relied upon the federal government and local government for re-building.  Miami Metropolitan Water and Sewer did not use their user rates to re-build.  Approximately $3 billion was brought in for the infrastructure to be rebuilt.  There is a time where we can say, “Here is what we are going to pay with our assessment process and from this point on, we will work with other governmental entities on a higher level to bring back the service after an undetermined amount of time”.  With a category three storm, you are going to have 15 inches of rain, which can cause major problems.  We handled 15 inches of rain in the past but it was over a two day period.  It got nasty but we did not have any flooding in Coral Springs other than localized roadway flooding from debris clogging the drains.  The lakes managed to stay below the crowns of the road.  Over the next couple of months, we need to evaluate living through a Wilma 2 type of storm, which we believe we have the capability of doing and keep us stable for a two week period with no power. 

            Mr. Hyche stated there is current legislation to provide water and sewer resources during an event.

            Mr. Fennell stated there is no way the Federal government is going to bring in the resources to serve 7,000,000 people.  FEMA is acting more like an insurance company than a responder.  We will take the money but I do not see them coming in.

            Mr. Eissler stated the military will take over for the governor.

 

SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESS                        Consideration of Inter-District Agreement between CSID and NSID for the Intrastate Construction Corporation Wastewater Rehab Contract

            Mr. Petty stated our engineer asked us to consider this agreement to share our contractor with our sister District, NSID.  This is subject to counsel showing legal sufficiency.

            Mr. Fennell asked does this cost us any money?

            Mr. Petty responded no.

            Mr. Fennell asked does it impede anything we are doing?

            Mr. Petty responded no.  It is like building up an IOU.

            Mr. Lyles stated an agreement will come back to you.  You have a contractor in place with attractive unit prices.  This is not for a new expansion but to make repairs caused by Hurricane Wilma.  In effect, we will be structuring this as an Interlocal Agreement to piggyback your contract.

 

On MOTION by Mr. Fennell seconded by Mr. Eissler with all in favor the Inter-District Agreement between CSID and NSID for the Intrastate Construction Corporation Wastewater Rehab Contract was approved.

 

SEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS                  Staff Reports

A.        Attorney

            Mr. Lyles stated there is some dialogue taking place between CSID and the City of Coral Springs.  They made a request since your last meeting to be provided with some formation documents.  I am keeping them informed and providing them with any documents they request.  I have not been made aware of anything specific in terms of forthcoming proposals under consideration.  I feel Mr. Fennell has addressed the City Commission in a very effective way. 

            Mr. Fennell stated the attitude we have taken is CSID is provided for by people within our physical unit.  We are the people who have to go out for the bonds who purchased the business and are the owners.  No money came from the state, county or the city.  It is our responsibility and we see a good reason to maintain CSID as an independent District.  The three of us discuss what needs to be done and decide the best way to approach matters.  When we can, we cooperate with other groups.  We have a working agreement with NSID and other Districts and help each other out.  The agreement we just approved is not unusual.  Wherever we need to, we share employees.  We have been effective in what we do and see good reason to continue with CSID.  We have the right size plant for what we do.  A bigger plant such as in Ft. Lauderdale takes what we have and duplicates them several times. 

            The city is proud that we take care of our own wastewater and I am proud we handle our own environmental issues, whether it be water and wastewater, determine what we are going to do with those issues and how we are going to dispose of them.  All the city does is take the wastewater and ship it off to the county.  Frankly I would not want to put my hands into someone else’s.  We want to put our own faith in our own hands.  We were able to do so the last time around. 

            Mr. Hanks stated we want to be able to judiciously allocate our resources to get the most for our money, whether it be for emergency repairs or ________________.

            Mr. Pierpoint stated you can apply for grant money through the state.  The period ended in January.  Tamarac applied for $250,000 for a water pump and received the money.

            Mr. Fennell asked have we considered doing anything like this?

            Mr. Petty responded typically it costs more to apply than the dollars are worth and makes you less independent than you currently are.  We usually find the money available to us either in our own system or through short term notes of low interest rates.  They bare a financial benefit to us versus accepting money on a grant basis, which opens us up to the grant conditions.  Sometimes the accounting requiring special monies is greater than the grant amount.  I am not saying grants should not be looked at but we typically find you have to be judicious. 

            Mr. Fennell stated you have a good idea of what we need in the event of an emergency but from a water standpoint, I would like to see the state make funds available for more local interconnects in water systems to one another.  During this last event, we were able to supply the City of Coral Springs with water.  There needs to be more ability to share the process of water.  A couple of years ago, the county was talking about having a countywide system for the storage of water during droughts and the ability to move water from one area to another.  This is something either the county or state will have to finance.  Some proposals were made about how to interconnect the different systems.  It is not so much we have a problem out here but the city is closer to the saltwater and once we have a drought, they have saltwater intrusion.  There are issues about how you take water while keeping the water table up and whether during a drought you can shift water from one system to another.  Local Districts like us will cooperate but we are not going to spend another $1,000,000 to $2,000,000.

            Mr. McKune stated we have two systems but they are already in place.  We have water from the C-14 canal going into the Sunshine WCD.  There is a connection between the Pine Tree WCD and NSID where we can move water around.

            Mr. Fennell stated this is important.  When we have droughts you can visibly see the water tables in our wells drop.  Luckily we are in a good part of the county.  There needs to be some statewide funding and coordination. 

            Mr. Pierpoint stated I worked recently with a representative in the Growth Management office and they discuss these issues regularly. 

            Mr. Hanks stated I am a Civil Engineer, Transportation Engineer and have been involved with land development in Coral Springs and South Florida for the past 11 years.  I would be more than happy to speak with you and your boss on growth management issues.

            Mr. Fennell stated we realize the need for cooperation.  Mr. Lyles, are you going to check on the Lake Coral Springs access issue?

            Mr. Lyles responded yes.

            Mr. Fennell stated they were not responsive to our last request.

 

B.        Engineer

            1.         Monthly Water & Sewer Charts

            2.         Utility Billing Work Orders

            There not being any, the next item followed.

 

C.        Manager – Discussion of Method of Supervisor of Elections

            This item was tabled until the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

D.        Complaints Received/Resolved

            Mr. Petty stated any complaints are ongoing.  We switched from having complaints received from water management staff to our customer service representatives in our Water and Sewer Department.  We can track them on our computer system to make sure they are resolved.  Our response rate has increased.  We will be glad to provide those records to the Board if you wish to see them.

 

EIGHTH ORDER OF BUSINESS                     Supervisor Requests and Audience Comments

            Mr. Eissler stated it has come to my attention we were billed by Severn Trent Services for work performed by Mr. Mel Entus in December of 2005 off of the Water and Sewer Fund and General Fund for four months in the amount of $17,498.68.  NSID was billed for the same amount.  What did we receive for $33,000?  This is the same amount Mr. Roger Moore received.  As far as I can determine, Mr. Entus spends little time at CSID.  When you speak with our people, they do not know what he does.  This is a waste of money.

            Mr. Hanks stated his hourly rate of $12, is not unusual for a Professional Consultant.  This works out to be 8.5 hours a week.

            Mr. Eissler stated he did not spend 8.5 hours a week here.  I do not think we should be paying this amount at all.  I think it is part of our $33,000 fee paid to Severn Trent Services.  We complain every month about employees being overpaid.  Our senior management does not get more than $45,000 a year through CSID.  We pay $33,000 for a Recording Secretary, accounting services and a District Manager.  This is almost an illegal use of our money.

            Mr. Petty stated the intent was not to steal money from CSID.  The intent was to replace Mr. Roger Moore with someone who had similar operational experience to oversee the operations, the same way Mr. Moore did.  When Mr. Entus came on-site, he was able to oversee the operations in less time due to staff’s competence level, which was much greater than when Mr. Moore was here.  We would be happy to speak to you about the proper number for this effort.  Currently, Mr. Entus is no longer overseeing the operations.  I have operational experience and can oversee the staff along with my management functions.  As of January, Mr. Entus is no longer on-site.  We would like to work out a reasonable return for the services rendered during the budget process and update our contract to reflect the current services we provide.  We provide services besides Recording Secretary, treasury services and my services.  We provide a considerable amount of support, which is a benefit to the District and more traditional in nature to what the Board has had in the past.

            Mr. Hanks asked do we have an opportunity to review outside firms who provide lump sum contracts?

            Mr. Petty responded we serve at the pleasure of the Board.  It is the perception of the Board that we live and die by.  The other professionals submit hourly bills according to the hourly rates adopted.  Our contract is based on a lump sum.

            Mr. Fennell stated we usually have a yearly review in January.  We need to have everyone bill by billable hours so we know exactly what we are getting for the money.  Accountants do this in 15 minute intervals.

            Mr. Eissler stated if you recall, when Mr. Goscicki was here, our monthly fee included all of these services and all of the employees.  We had use of the talent when needed and would get billed when we needed them.  We pay approximately $3,300 a month.  What do we get for this amount?

            Mr. Petty responded we provide services, not man-power.  We do not wish to provide the man-power on an hourly basis.  I am willing to provide support of the services you get and give you a better understanding.  We are prepared to do this in great detail as we go through this budget process.  Since I have been here, I have tried to do whatever efforts were necessary.  I believe this type of service has increased and the treasury services have improved.

            Mr. Eissler stated I would still like to know what we are getting for $3,300 a month.

            Mr. Petty stated I would be glad to discuss this with you.  We will present what we believe is our intent and live by the Board’s decision.

            Mr. Fennell stated you brought up the need for additional generators but we had not taken any action.

            Mr. Petty stated this was provided to you for informational purposes.  We are not asking for any action.

            Mr. Fennell stated he wants to purchase ten 20 kw portable generators.  We should go out and obtain bids.

            Mr. Petty stated we normally defer this matter to the manager and District Engineer to preview this year’s budget to see if we have the money to fund such an item and discuss the increase in service levels such an item brings to see if there was a financial backing to the decision before bringing it to the Board.

            Mr. Fennell stated come back to the next meeting with a proposal and funding mechanism.  I do not want to have two portable generators sitting in Pompano Beach during an event.

            Mr. Hanks asked why do we need them now?

            Mr. Petty responded due to Hurricane Wilma.

            Mr. Hyche stated you asked us to purchase double what we originally purchased, which is three more generators.  We tested our performance and discovered we actually need 10 generators.

            Mr. Fennell asked is the cost $10,000 per generator?

            Mr. Hyche responded yes.

            Mr. Fennell stated this means it will cost $100,000 to get the system fully operational.

            Mr. Petty stated we were talking about having administrative hearings at the end of the week.  If we do not receive a request to deny the bid protest, we have a letter stating they are contesting the award.  Will the Board sit as an administrative body?

            Mr. Lyles responded the first go around is not before the entire Board.  It is an informal conference within seven working days of the protest.

            Mr. Petty stated there is no reason to continue the meeting.

 

NINTH ORDER OF BUSINESS                       Approval of Check Registers

            Mr. Petty stated the reason why there are no invoices is we just completed our annual audit, which has delayed us.  We ask for your indulgence to table them to the next meeting.

 

TENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS                       Adjournment

            There being no further business,

 

On MOTION by Mr. Eissler seconded by Mr. Hanks with all in favor the meeting was adjourned at 5:50 p.m.

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                      

Glen Hanks                                                               Robert Fennell

Secretary                                                                   President